This information is copied directly from IBM announcement 915-050
Effective November 30, 2015, IBM® will withdraw from marketing the following selected IBM Power Systems, model upgrades, associated features and feature conversions. On or after the effective date of withdrawal, you can no longer order these products directly from IBM.
- IBM Power Systems
- IBM PowerLinux 7R1 server (8246-L1D)
- IBM PowerLinux 7R2 server (8246-L2D)
- IBM PowerLinux 7R2 server (8246-L2T)
- IBM PowerLinux 7R4 (8248-L4T)
- IBM Power® 710 Express® (8268-E1D)
- IBM Power 730 Express (8231-E2D)
- IBM Power 740 Express (8205-E6D)
- IBM Power 770 Express (9117-MMD)
- IBM Power 795 Server (9119-FHB)
- IBM Power 780 Server (9179-MHD)
- IBM Power ESE (8412-EAD)
- IBM Power Systems model upgrades to POWER7/POWER7+ processor-based servers
- From POWER6® 570 to POWER7® 780 (9117-MMA to 9179 -MHD)
- From POWER6 570 to POWER7 780 (9117-MMA to 9117-MMD)
- From POWER7 770 to POWER7+ 770 (9117-MMB to 9117-MMD)
- From POWER7 770 (IOC) to POWER7+ 770 (9117-MMC to 9117-MMD)
- From POWER7 780 to POWER7+ 780 (9179-MHB to 9179-MHD)
- From POWER7 780 (IOC) to POWER7+ 780 (9179-MHC to 9179-MHD)
- From POWER6 595 to POWER7 795 (9119-FHA to 9119-FHB)
- From POWER6 520 to POWER7 720 (8203-E4A to 8202-E4D)
- IBM POWER6 converged system conversions
- From System i® 570 to Power 570 (9406-MMA to 9117-MMA)
- From Power 550 to Power 550 (9409-M50 to 8204-E8A)
- From Power 520 to Power 520 (9408-M25 to 8203-E4A)
- From Power 520 to Power 520 (9407-M15 to 8203-E4A
- Features and feature conversions associated to upgrades and conversions being withdrawn
The following exceptions apply:
- All withdrawals for associated feature conversions, and features for 8246-L2T do not apply to China.
- All withdrawals for associated feature conversions, and features on 9179-MHD for China, are effective June 15, 2016.
- Features 5274 and 5768 will not be withdrawn in China and Korea.
You can obtain the products on an as-available basis through IBM Business Partners.
If you have a continuing need for these machine types/models, visit the IBM Certified Used website to check on availability or utilize the request a quote to communicate your specific requirements. IBM Certified Used Equipment has the largest inventory of used IBM systems that are refurbished, tested, and warranted for a minimum of 90 days. For further information, visit
For more information and a list of all product and features effected by this announcement please click on the following link to be directed to the full IBM announcement page.
If you have questions or would like to look at options for moving to IBM Power8, please feel free to contact us.